Saturday, May 19, 2012

Save Your Skin: La Roche-Posay melanoma awareness month Ireland

May is Melanoma Awareness month here in Ireland and La Roche-Posay have something to share with you, so first of, please go ahead and do me the favour of watching this:

This year they decided to particularly aim at men, as they are less likely to worry about sun screen and sun damage.
I have to admit I was gobsmacked by the numbers! 1 in 8 is A LOT!!!

If these stories snapshots aren't enough and you wish to read more about the impact melanoma has on people's lives, you can read about my own experience in this guest blog post I put together a while ago.

I would like to take this opportunity to launch an appeal to ANYONE reading: please, PLEASE DO use sun screen, DO keep an eye on your moles and DO get them mapped/checked once a year.
Everyone should do this, but especially those with a very fair complexion and moles.
I could go on for paragraphs on end but the bottom line is, we all know how dangerous the Sun is and what damages it can cause.
In the past I have persuaded a few people to get in the habit of getting their moles checked and if this post leads to at least one individual doing it, then my work here is done.

Melanoma IS deadly if not caught in time, and even if you're lucky to catch it in time, it's the most horrific struggle I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy.

I realise this post is a bit all over the place but my emotions are running high and can't quite get a logical hold of them, I apologise.

In case you wish to gather more information, you can visit the SOS Save Our Skin website.

Thank you for taking the time to read,

Lil

3 comments:

  1. I use sunscreen almost everyday. Since I drive a truck, my left side is always exposed to the sunlight that comes thru the window. I don't want to get skin cancer.

    Staying out of the Sun will help keep you looking younger. Sun exposure ages your skin. Sun screen can help and is found in lots of lotions & cosmetics.

    When I was in the Army I used to keep the sleeves rolled down on my top during the summertime. A hat is also a good idea. One with the brim that goes all the way around is the best.

    A lot or people in Ireland & the UK might not think they need to use sunscreen or cover up because it doesn't get quite as warm as the rest of Europe, but that's not the case. You can burn your skin anytime of year, even in the winter.

    Excellent blog posting. I know it will help others :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe melanoma awareness month is not only what it seems to be?
    I have done some research on the role of La Roche-Posay in the campaign against sunlight. You can read my findings here: http://tanright.blogspot.com/
    One thing to remember is that if a commercial company is involved in something that looks like altruism, it is never the full picture. They would never do anything that will not generate more sales.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Gor: I am aware that for them it's not just awareness, but if it helps saving people's lives and raising awareness, I personally don't care if companies look to increase their sales. Protecting one's skin is gonna have to come from some product anyway, La Roche-Posay or whomever else

    ReplyDelete